Theater Profile

The famous Benedum Center for the Performing Arts located in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania is one of the most beautiful theaters I have ever visited. Being from Philadelphia I usually don’t get a chance to explore other surroundings other than that of my roots. In March I had the chance of staying with one of my girlfriends from Pittsburgh for the weekend. Since I had never been to Pittsburg I was very anxious to see what it had to offer. As we were riding through Oakland, my friend’s father became my personal tour guide; he pointed out many historical landmarks, other must see places, and last but not least the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts. The first thing that I noticed when I walked into the Benedum Center was the art work; it gave of this vibe of sophistication and elegance like that of which you get when you walk into a nicely decorated Catholic Church. I was very amazed at the gorgeous crystal chandeliers, torches, and sconces throughout the theater.


The Grand Lobby’s mirrors, woodwork, and marbles are all original. I must say that the breathe taking sight in the Benedum Center is the original main chandelier which weighs 4,700 pounds, is 20 feet high, and 12 feet wide. Before being known as the Benedum Center it was previously known as the Stanley Theatre. The name change came about after Claude Worthington Benedum donated the most amount of money to the restoration of the theater. The center opened on Friday, September 25, 1987, with a show called purely Pittsburgh. It was written by Dan Langen and produced by Mandy Levine. The entire show contained composers from Pittsburgh and performers who were connected to Pittsburgh in some sort of way. There are a few upcoming events worth watching such as Hairspray, Oliver!, The Phantom of the Opera, Miss Saigon, and Young Frankenstein. As you can see, the Benedum hosts a wide arrange of different productions, from strictly music, to musicals, to plays. After visiting the Benedum Center I became fascinated with everything it has to offer. I think the reason why I loved visiting the Benedum Center so much was that it was nothing like any of the performing centers that I have seen in Philadelphia. Getting a chance to grasp the beautiful sight of something new was really rewarding. I remember how dark and quiet it was before the show started, and that we were seated right on the edge of the balcony. I was so excited because I thought we had the best view of the stage. I can recall wondering if the people down below me could see me as I watched them play, because of how bright the lights seemed every time I looked back at them. The Benedum has been registered with the National Trust for Historic Places, and was named the "Number One Auditorium in the U.S," by Billboard Magazine. I didn’t really find anything about internships or available jobs at the Benedum Center but I’m sure there are some if one was to visit or call them.

No comments:

Post a Comment